Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas in the Jungle

The downstairs lobby of my office building is decorated for Christmas, which is lovely and cute and festive. Believe me, I'm not complaining--they only started doing it a couple of years ago and I'm a big fan. The decorations generally consist of poinsettias and wreaths and trees--lots of red and green, etc.

And while that is, again, festive, it's also sort of like having to walk through a green house to get to the elevators. It's something that always perplexed me in college--every time we got a speaker in, the way the events committee dressed up the venues for the occasion was by sticking plants everywhere. On some of the smaller auditorium stages it was especially ridiculous--there'd be so many trees and shrubs and plants squeezed into every spare bit of space that the speakers would have to hack through the foliage to get to the podium.

I always waited in hopeful anticipation for the speaker to acknowledge the jungle behind them and open with, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"

Never happened--a major disappointment of my college experience.

3 comments:

Emmy said...

E, I can't believe you're so cut off from NATURE. Geez. Actually, though, that's really similar to our sun room at Christmas; dad has to bring in all his plants from outside and I have to try to see the tv from the exercise bike THROUGH a thin-trunked tree. It's amazing.

E said...

it's like you're biking THROUGH the jungle, on your very own amazing race challenge! talk about a little extra exercise incentive...

Emmy said...

OMG, I just realized we now have a 'jungle' tag. You do realize I am now going to have to come up with some post that has to do with jungles. I should add it on to the Robot Chicken Giraffe in Quicksand post...

ShareThis